Saturday, January 23, 2016

Jason Watches THE BIG SHORT

That was a surprisingly funny, breezy story of financial shenanigans, a broken system, and the few men who saw what was happening and made a fortune on it. You know, these guys shouldn't really be the heroes, they made a fortune on the collapse of the U.S. economy. But they're also presented as the only ones who could see what was happening because they weren't blinded by greed and the promise of an easy buck. I'm not sure I understand the financial collapse any better after the movie than I did in the beginning. And the movie acknowledges this. The system collapsed in part because shenanigans were specifically pulled to make sure you couldn't understand what was going on. But I did appreciate the running joke of different ways to try to explain it, ranging from Margot Robbie in a bathtub to Anthony Bourdain in the kitchen to Selena Gomez and...I forget who, some guy who's supposed to be really smart at a blackjack table. About as much fun as mathematics and financial collapse could possibly be.

Running Time: 130 minutes
My Total Minutes: 414,234

No comments: