Friday, November 7, 2014

Jason goes to Cinema Zone and sees HELL HOUSE

I actually saw HELL HOUSE (2001) back at SFIFF long ago...like before I started this blog and even before I started keeping records of what movies I have seen. So that means I don't have an old review to fall back on (I probably did write it up back when I was just sharing my reviews with friends and family via e-mail, but that's long lost to the mists of time.)

Anyway, it's a fascinating look at the Trinity Church (Assemblies of God) in Cedar Hill, Texas and their annual tradition of a haunted house showing their version of real-life horrors of immorality and hell. The point being to save the guests souls at the end. And I remember back when I first saw it I laughed at it. Silly Christians and their phony scares. And I still kind of believe that (I doubt I would be converted by Hell House) but I no longer think they're that silly. Instead I see a group of people dedicated to a belief and a cause, who work hard at it, and are still respectful of people who don't believe. And the work they put into it, and the quality of their product...it's actually pretty good. And this movie...it's actually pretty great.

Running Time: 85 minutes
My Total Minutes: 371,745

No comments: